Recognize the characteristics of mercury poisoning contained in foodstuffs and things commonly used every day.
Mercury is a heavy metal that is naturally present in the environment but has toxic properties (toxins) that are very harmful to health and the environment if not control its use.
The following are some ingredients that may contain mercury:
- Seafood. Some seafood – such as shellfish and tuna – potentially contain mercury.
- Cosmetics. Many beauty products with whitening labels may contain mercury.
- Electronic objects. Electronic objects around the house that contain mercury include batteries, LCD TV screens and laptops.
- Medical devices. Some medical devices use mercury such as dental amalgam, blood pressure tool, thermometer and nebuliser.
Acute or sudden mercury poisoning can occur with symptoms such as a sore throat, abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting. These complaints usually occur in mining workers in the metal processing industry of mercury and gold mining.
While signs and symptoms of poisoning that occur if a person exposed to mercury within 5-10 years is as follows:
- Impaired vision
- Balance disorders
- Speech and hearing impairment
- Muscle weakness – muscle in the body.
- Sleep disturbance
- Muscles twitching
- Emotional change
- Out of breath
- Kidney damage
Therefore, if you feel in daily activities exposed to mercury continuously and often experience some of the above symptoms, immediately consult a doctor.
Furthermore, the doctor will perform a thorough physical examination and investigation for mercury such as blood, urine and hair examination.